A comforting and easy fall recipe that is chock full of flavor! The sage and butternut squash work amazing together. when topped off with brown butter sage sauce, toasted walnuts and Parmesan makes the most wonderfully flavorful dish! Yummy!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 egg
- 2 egg yolk
Butternut Squash Filling
- 1 butternut squash (medium)
- ½ red onion
- ½ head garlic
- 1 tsp sage
- ¼ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
Brown Butter Sage Sauce
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- ½ tsp sage
- ½ cup roasted walnuts
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1. Make ravioli dough. How to make fresh pasta at home.
2. Preheat oven to 375*F
3. Cut butternut squash into 1/2 pieces. Learn How to prepare butternut squash.
4. Dice onions into medium sized pieces
5. Cut the top off the 1/2 head of garlic, drizzle olive oil the top.
6. Wrap garlic in aluminum foil.
7. Add cut butternut squash, onions, and garlic to baking tray, bake for 35 minutes.
8. Add walnuts to baking tray, bake for another 10 minutes.
9. Carefully remove baking tray from oven and turn the oven off.
10. Put the roasted squash and vegetables in the food processor, and process until smooth.
11. Use a tablespoon or small spoon to evenly space the butternut squash onto the first ravioli pasta sheet. Add two columns of squash mix about 1/2 to 1 inch apart. You are welcome to space them differently depending on how much mixture you are putting in each ravioli.
12. Cover the squash filling and first pasta sheet with a second pasta sheet.
13. Glue the two sheets together with your finger and a tiny amount of water, making sure to close in each square of filling.
14. Cut the squares of pasta evenly, lightly dust with flour, and set aside until you are done making your raviolis.
15. In a large saucepan or deep skillet, add the butter and sage, and continue stirring until the butter has turned a lovely brown color. This takes about 5 minutes or so.
16. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, you want enough water, so your raviolis aren’t crowded. Use about a small handful of salt in your water.
17. Drain the ravioli’s and toss them in the brown butter sage sauce.
18. Add roasted walnuts and Parmesan to garnish the raviolis.
*Roasting the walnuts before adding as a garnish, takes away some of their bitterness, and adds a nice complement to the dish.
*Browning butter not only gives your sauce a beautiful brown color, but it brings out the nuttiness of the butter for an elevated savory touch to your sauce.
*Do not use sage as a garnish, make sure to cook it into the brown butter sauce when you first start to melt the butter, and add it to the roasted vegetables before processing them.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop, Oven
- Cuisine: American Italian